I recently had a hard time trying to choose the right paint colour for our front door. My husband was no help. He kept saying things like “it’s just a paint colour” or “it’s just a door”. I couldn’t agree with that attitude. My sister-in-law hit the nail on the head by pointing out that the front door is the first thing people see when they come into your home or walk by on the street. It makes a first impression!
Like a front door, in today’s world your website is very likely making a first impression for your business. Is it time for a “fresh coat of paint” so to speak?
- How long has it been since you updated your text? Search engines like new content and will return your site higher in results if you regularly updated your content
- Does your site look tired? Have someone else look at your site and tell them you want an honest opinion
- Perhaps the layout could be wider for today’s larger screens. If your site was developed for an 800 x 600 resolution perhaps add a 100% element to the background or make the layout wider
- Is your site secure? Ensure that your site has the latest security updates for whichever platform it has been developed using. Nothing turns people away from a site faster then a security warning
- Have you considered using the latest Social Networking Tools (twitter, facebook, YouTube) for your business and incorporating them into your website?
- A promotional video may be just the thing to bring your site into the now!
- Do you have Google Analytics installed on your site so you can track what is working and what isn’t?Like they say “you never get a second chance to make a first impression”.