Blog posts and web pages really look much better when they include a picture or two. Since WordPress 2.9 we’ve had the ability to edit media library images right in the wp-admin but there is one problem, if an image is too large you can’t upload it to the media library!!
Photoshop and Fireworks are image editing programs used by graphic and web designers but they are expensive and more advanced than what the average blogger or WordPress site owner would need to simply size and crop an image.
When Your Image is too Large – Use Pixlr
Pixlr will re-size your large images so that you can upload them to your WordPress blog. Just follow these simple steps:
- go to http://pixlr.com/editor/
- choose open image from your computer
- browse your directories to find the image, select it and click open
- in Pixlr choose Image from the top navigation bar and select Image size from the drop down menu
- make sure that constrain proportions is ticked then change your image width to the size you want – 960px is probably the maximum width you would want to display in a website
- click File -> Save</li>
- Change the name of the file so you don’t overwrite the original and then click OK
You can crop your image with Pixlr too or, once you’ve uploaded your image to WordPress, you can crop the thumbnail image with the WordPress image editor.
Give it a try and let me know what you think.