I am a tree hugger. My Mom was way ahead of the green movement and instilled in us an eco-consciousness from a young age. If you are like me you are passionate about reducing our carbon footprint in your private life and in your business. Progressive businesses and organizations all over the world are finding their eco-consciousness and seek to operate with sustainable business practices. Here are a few things you can do…
Use renewable energy for your office, laptop, website and consume less when you search…
- Dandelion Web Design operates from a home office so I have total control over selecting our energy provider. I chose 100% renewable electricity through Bullfrog Power.
- If you rent your office space and can’t choose your energy provider, you can purchase Windpower certificates to run your computer through the Pembina Institute.
- If you choose Ethical Hosting ~ a Toronto company providing carbon neutral web hosting ~ your web site servers are powered by renewable wind power!
- use Blackle as your default search engine – Blackle searches are powered by Google Custom Search. Blackle saves energy because the screen is predominantly black; given monitor requires more power to display a white (or light) screen than a black (or dark) screen. If you set Blackle as your home page every time you load your Internet browser you will save a little bit of energy. Remember every bit counts! You will also be reminded about the need to save energy each time you see the Blackle page load.
- ecofont – since there is no such thing as the inkless office, try EcoFont, a new typeface that uses 20 percent less ink to print. It extends the life of print catridges by punching dots into the inside of the type face that are only noticeable from sizes 24 and up. Free at ecofont.eu
- reuse paper – place a reusable paper bin beside your printer. When printing drafts use the reverse side of the paper
- buy recyled paper
- recycle your ink cartridges
- find a printer that shares your business ethic…. Green Printer Online and Phoenix Print Shop a socially and environmentally responsible commercial printer that supports Foundations of Print, an award-winning training program for homeless youth.
Network with and support other local green businesses
- Join GET – Green Enterprise Toronto
- Check out The Centre for Social Innovation a social enterprise that helps connect and support social entrepreneurs
Put an green policy statement on your website and list your site in the Ethical Directory & the Blackle Pages.
This will get you started. You can also hire a Green Business Coach to help green your business.
2 thoughts on ““Green” your website and your business….”
This is very helpful and clear information. I didn’t know about these choices. I am inspired to make these changes to my site. Thank you Ruth.
nice article. Was really good quality in general and few bits of new information for me which i did not know before reading your post.
Comments are closed.