USA TODAY’s Jefferson Graham interviews Google engineer Matt Cutts on how to get your site to the top of Google with 5 basic, common sense SEO tips. Matt Cutts guests on the USA TODAY Talking Tech web video show.
Five Common sense things to do to rank in Google:
- Keywords in Content: Think about what keywords users are going to search to find your site and put those words in your page content.
- Meta Tags: Title tags matter. Have your meta tags for title and description say clearly that this is the information that you are going to get when you go to that web result.
- Links: Start a blog and join in social media sites … participate in the conversation on the web. This is a great way to get valid links and wonderful content
- go to google.com/addurl and tell Google to index the root page of your site – This has been replaced with Google Search Console
- Submit a Sitemap at Google webmaster tools now called Google Search Console
Biggest Misconception: that you have to pay Google or that if you buy advertising it will affect your search results.