WooCommerce is an open source e-commerce plugin for WordPress that turns WordPress into an online store.
Follow these 6 steps to Configure Canadian taxes for your WooCommerce store
- Begin by installing and activating the WooCommerce plugin.
- Then go to WooCommerce → Settings and from the General tab set the Base location to your Canadian Province. Then set the currency to Canadian dollars and Save Changes
- Here I’ve provided a CSV file that you can download.
- Next click on the TAX tab → Standard Rates → at the bottom of the page click Import CSV. Browse your computer for the file you just saved and upload and import the file.
- Now click on the WooCommerce → Settings → Tax tab and tick the first box to enable taxes. Adjust any other settings as needed for your store and Save Changes.
- If your shop is located in one of the following Provinces you need to charge Provincial PST. I believe that if you do a lot of business in another Province you will need to get a PST number and remit taxes to that Province. If not please delete any of the last four PST classes that don’t apply to your shop.
- BC 7%
- SK 6% – changed March 2017
- MB 8% – changed July 2013
- QC 9.975%
The CSV file uses tax rates based on this RCC table.
That’s it! This file is correct to the best of my knowledge but please check the rates and test your installation. And please let me know if there has been a change in your Province that I need to include.