Akismet is the first WordPress plugin that you’ll encounter because it comes bundled with the WordPress core installation files. Akismet was created by the creators of WordPress to fight comment spam.
“Used by millions, Akismet is quite possibly the best way in the world to protect your blog from comment and trackback spam. It keeps your site protected from spam even while you sleep.”
Previously, you signed up at wordpress.com to obtain an API key and then paste that API key within Akismet Configuration to activate the service. Now, you must register at the Akismet website and choose a specific plan before you get access to an API key.
Get Started with Akismet:
- In your WordPress Dashboard click Plugins.
- Then click on installed Plugins and then -> click “Activate” under Akismet
- Go to the Akismet Website to sign up for an API key
A NOTE ABOUT AKISMET: You don’t HAVE to pay for Akismet. Until recently, it has been free. To choose whether you want to contribute, choose personal and slide the yearly contribution slider to $0 (or whatever yearly contribution you want to make). See the image below.
- After going through the checkout process, the API key will be emailed to you.
- Go to your Akismet configuration page and paste in your API key.
Akismet is now ready to catch spam comments.
We recommend using the Fast Secure Contact Form plugin in conjunction with Akismet. This will protect your email contact form from spam bots in the same way that Akismet does with comments.
[cross posted on the LearnWP blog]